While it may seem like every Emersonian has decided on a clear career path, that’s just not the case. It is very normal to consider exploring other majors or to change your mind about the major (or minor) you originally chose. If you’d like to do so, we are here to help!
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Log in to Handshake and schedule an appointment – you will see “Major or Career Exploration” as an available appointment type. Talking with a counselor is a good first step and a great way to sort out your thoughts and concerns.
- What Can I do with This Major? – While these majors don’t match Emerson’s exactly, the list is close enough that you can get a good sense of some careers that may be options for certain majors, as well as strategies to get there if that career interests you.
- O*Net Online – this is an extremely comprehensive database where you can search pretty much any job title or career field, receive a wealth of information about what the job requires and is entails, and find similar positions.
- Gain hands on experience – it is very difficult to know what a type of job will feel like unless you experience it. While you’re a student, gain experience with student organizations, internships, volunteer work, or even try out a job shadow.
- Another great way to learn about different careers is through informational interviews with Emerson alumni. Check out our networking resources for help!
- If you’re still feeling stuck or unsure, ask your career counselor about taking a career assessment, which may help to further clarify your interests.
- Finally, if you do decide to pursue a change to your major and/or minor, make sure to meet with your academic advisor! They can help you through the process and ensure you’ll be on track to meet all requirements needed to graduate.