Curricular Practical Training (CPT) allows international students to work for a company off-campus, if the position is necessary for their program of study. CPT is required for paid internships or internships that offer any other form of compensation such as a meal plan or transportation passes. If you have a paid internship you have to take a for-credit course along with the internship. Emerson offers 1 credit, 2 credit and 4 credit internship option. Contact your program directors for more information on which options are available to you.

What do I need?

As you begin to apply for internships, think about your professional goals and the skills you have acquired throughout your experience. Which companies are you interested in? If you need help with your internship search, setup an appointment with a Career Counselor on Handshake.

Once you find an internship, you must take the following steps:

  1. Internship Approval
    Contact the Career Services office for internship approval. Internship approval will take about 1-2 weeks.
  2. Once you have submitted your forms for internship approval, it is recommended that you contact the Office of International Student Affairs to let them know you intend to apply for CPT and have started the internship approval process with Career Services. Your internship must be approved by Career Services, your internship site, and the faculty member running your internship course. Career Services will walk you through this process.
  3. CPT Approval
    Contact the Office International Student Affairs for CPT approval. You can only receive CPT approval AFTER your internship has been approved. It can take up to two weeks for your CPT to be approved. You cannot start working until your CPT has been approved.

For more information setup an appointment with a Career Counselor or with the Office of International Student Affairs.

Categories: Uncategorized