- Make sure your resume is perfect and you know how to write a strong cover letter.
- Of course, you will be customizing your resume and cover letter for each job you apply to, but you should have some solid drafts under your belt that are geared toward the type of work you’re seeking.
- Unsure? Check out our resources for resume and cover letter writing, and schedule an appointment to meet with a Career Counselor!
2. Use our industry guides (to locate: visit emerson.edu/lionhire –> Resource Library –> Career Resource Guides –> Industry Guides) to create two lists:
- A list of job boards to look for open positions
- A list of companies of interest
- We have lists of companies in the Boston area for a variety of industries, and you can also use the databases listed on the industry guides (i.e.: Variety Insight, Production Hub, etc) to find additional companies
3. Once you have a list of companies of interest and perhaps a few jobs you’d like to apply for, start making a list of people who are already in your network or those you’d like to meet who have connections at any of these companies.
- For tips on how to do this, check out our networking resources, particularly our guide on Contacting Emerson Alumni and our Informational Interviewing guide
- Also, be sure you check out the resources for Alumni through Emerson’s Alumni Association, including the online community, regional groups, and events.