So you’re graduating – now what? While we’re here to support your career goals (for life!), we also want to talk about some of the other matters you want to consider as you head off on your own. Some of the areas to consider as you set off are:
Don’t forget to come up with a plan for budgeting. You’ll want to make sure you’re finding a balance between your salary and any student loan repayments you have to make in addition to other costs of living such as rent and groceries.
Start developing a budgeting plan with our tips on Budgeting for Beginners and be sure to check out Emerson’s resources for budgeting as well:
- Money Matters – schedule a meeting to discuss budgeting, your student loans, and more!
- SALT – an online tool Emerson offers students and alumni to help manage finances and student loans. Includes video tutorials, financial calculators, and more!
You can also use the following tools to get an idea of what your anticipated salary might look like and how much you’ll have to put away for Student Loans each month:
- Salary calculator and comparisons: Salary.com, Glassdoor.com, and Payscale.com are all helpful resources
- Student loan repayment: Comprehensive information from Studentaid.gov – but also chat with the Money Matters team at Emerson for help!
There are several challenges that come along with your decision to relocate to another city. Many of you will be renting for the first time in a city you may not be entirely familiar with. Check out these resources when thinking about your next big move:
- Helpful tips for first-time renters
- Moving to NYC? Check out this article
- If LA is your destination, this article may be helpful
Finding Friends & Contacts
Making friends once school ends is a whole new world – some ways to find friends are through coworkers, friends of friends, doing things you love (taking a yoga class, joining a softball league, etc) — but patience is important!
- Check out the Emerson College alumni chapter or alumni Facebook group in your area to connect with fellow Emersonians!
Career Services is always here to help! Connect with our office today by scheduling an appointment through Handshake 😊
All the best Class of 2018!