New! Internship Feedback Form: If you are a student, employer, or faculty member, who is participating (or has participated) in an student internship experience, you can share any related thoughts and feedback with the Career Development Center using this form.
International student deadlines are one week earlier than the general application deadline due to CPT work authorization processing time and are subject to all course registration deadlines on the Emerson College academic calendar.
4- or 8-credit Internship Application Deadlines
August 26, 2021
January 10, 2022
May 15, 2022
1-credit PDE & CDE Internship Application Deadlines
November 19, 2022
April 14, 2023
July 28, 2023
* Summer internship courses align with the dates of the “Full Summer Term” (there are no internship classes that run separately in Summer 1 or Summer 2).
Learn about the 1-, 4-, and 8-credit requirements
International students can gain valuable work experience through internships. This is a perfect way to apply academic concepts learned from your major to a professional setting and gain academic credit at the same time.
Internships are considered “work” in the United States, so participation in an internship (paid or unpaid) requires going through the proper steps to ensure compliance with your F-1 student visa. As an international student, you must submit an application for academic credit for your internship and register for an internship course to formalize this work experience as part of your academic program.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) work authorization certifies that an internship is a part of your major-related coursework. The CPT approval process is built into the approval process for academic credit for your internship and this authorization must be obtained prior to the first day of work. Note: Students may not receive academic credit for any internship experience completed without prior approval.
How to receive CPT authorization
- Secure an internship and obtain an offer letter. Use Handshake to search for an internship or find one on your own. (View Offer Letter Requirements).
- Submit an Application for Academic Credit in Handshake. Once submitted, please attach your official offer letter from your internship supervisor to your application. When complete, your application will be reviewed (turnaround time is 5-7 business days).
- Register for the internship course. (View Class Terms & Requirements)
- For the 4- or 8-credits, register for the 499 or 690 internship course within your major.
- For 1-credit internships (PDE or CDE), a registration code will be emailed to you when your application is in the approval stage.
- Await approval of your application by (1) your internship site supervisor, (2) the faculty member teaching the internship course, and (3) OISA.
Note: OISA provides CPT authorization upon their approval. You may not begin your first day without CPT authorization.