Internships allow students to apply the knowledge they gain in the classroom to a professional setting. These opportunities are the perfect way to use the concepts you learn from your major to earn experience along with academic credit or compensation.
You may complete internships either individually or with recognition from Emerson College. Please note that for-credit internships must be completed with approval from the Career Development Center. Students may not receive retroactive credit.
International Students must receive CPT authorization for all internship experiences, paid or unpaid. Please see our CPT Guide here.
Steps to Submitting Your Internship:
- Secure an internship. Utilize Handshake to search or find one on your own.
- Register for the 499 or 690 Internship course in your major.
- Remember: You are enrolling in a course. This course has assignments and homework. Read the Class Terms & Requirements.
- If you choose to do a 1-credit PDE, registration comes later. Career Services will notify you when you are allowed to register.
- Submit an Experience Proposal through Handshake. The faculty member running your course will be sent your proposal for their final approval.
International students being paid for their internship need to contact International Student Affairs for CPT approval.
How to Submit Your Experience Proposal:
Deadlines for 2, 4, & 8 Credit Internships*:
|Fall 2018||Spring 2019||Summer 2018|
|Soft Deadline||August 30th||January 3rd||May 7th|
|Registration & Approval Deadline:||September 11th||January 14th||May 21st|
|Internship Start Date:||September 5th – 11th||January 14th – 18th||May 21st – May 23rd|
|Internship End Date:||December 14th||April 26th||August 14th|
*Please review the Professional Development Experiences sheet for PDE-specific deadlines.